Universal Sweden claims Spotify already generates more cash than iTunes
LONDON - Online music streaming service Spotify is now the largest digital source of income for Universal Music in its home market Sweden, surpassing Apple's iTunes.
Per Sundin, managing director of Universal Music Sweden, told The Swedish Wire: "In five months from the launch, Spotify became our largest digital source of income and so passed by iTunes.
Spotify does not disclose its arrangements with royalty collectors, however it has been reported that major music labels, as well as the major independent labels, have equity in Spotify.
If true, labels are not just making money from royalties each time a track is streamed but would be in line for a share of profit from Spotify's premium subscriptions and advertising income.
In the UK, the largest digital income record labels receive still comes from the sale of tracks and albums via iTunes.
However, industry sources predict that Spotify will generate significant revenue for UK record labels within the next six months if the site continues to grow at its current rate.
A Spotify spokesman told the Daily Telegraph: "Collectively we won't be able to change the music industry model overnight -- we're seeing revenues grow month-on-month which are being shared with rights holders in line with our agreements."
However the spokesman said that Spotify expected to take "up to two years" to grow to a sufficient size in order to become a "material revenue generator for artists".
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London