Little Chef wins a place in The Good Food Guide
LONDON - Little Chef Popham, the restaurant which was at the centre of a television documentary series starring Heston Blumenthal, has earned a listing in the 2010 edition of Which's Good Food Guide.
The Channel 4 series 'Big Chef Takes On Little Chef' aired earlier this year and saw Blumenthal, whose restaurant The Fat Duck is frequently voted one of the best in the world, attempt to transform the fortunes and menu of a branch of Little Chef in Popham, Wiltshire.
Blumenthal's involvement led to reports of people travelling from London to try the food, which included a reworking of the chain's signature dish the Olympic Breakfast. Improvements were also made to traditional café foods such as sausage and mash, and burgers.
The restaurant added porridge to its breakfast menu but opted to serve it in the traditional way, with honey, instead of with snails, a la Heston Blumenthal.
The Good Food Guide said that inspectors had been so impressed by the Popham branch, with offerings such as braised ox cheeks and Abbot ale pie, that it had been awarded two stars out of 10 -- putting it on par with a good quality gastro pub.
Elizabeth Carter, editor of The Good Food Guide, said: "The minute I walked in I knew it belonged in The Guide -- it was so welcoming, vibrant and had a real buzz.
"I'm confident other diners will think so too."
The guide is published by consumer product and services research organisation Which?.
Although the Channel 4 series resulted in some criticism of the management of Little Chef, it has helped the restaurant chain back on the path to recovery after serious financial issues that saw it go into administration for a period.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire