Tesco censured over ClubCard x-ray offer
LONDON - Tesco has been criticised by the Society of Radiographers after a promotion by the retailer offering a special deal on CT scans to Tesco ClubCard holders.
The SOR said the scans, essentially x-rays used to detect the existence of tumours, involve exposure to radiation. It said this was not made clear to consumers in the promotion.
Tesco partner Lifescan is offering the CT scans as part of a "health MOT". The deal gives Tesco ClubCard holders £40 of Lifescan vouchers in exchange for £10-worth of Tesco ones.
The SOR said Lifescan was a reputable company, however the body has voiced doubts in the past over the benefits of running CT scans on healthy people.
SOR chief executive Richard Evans said the scans could increase the number of "worried well" by uncovering abnormalities that were benign.
In response Tesco told the BBC that Lifescan employed qualified staff who explained the risks to consumers.
Other third-party companies to tie up with Tesco ClubCard include SK:n, a cosmetic skin clinic, and laser eye-treatment specialist Optimax.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London
- Brand Strategy Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £43000 - £48000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London