Sky on-demand service to join IP Vision's broadband and Freeview box
LONDON - Sky is making its video-on-demand service Sky Player available on broadband-enabled Freeview set-top boxes made by IP Vision from early 2010.
The deal means that IP Vision's Fetch TV boxes will offer pay-per-view access to Sky content including Sky Movies, Sky Sports and a range of general entertainment channels, without the need for a Sky subscription.
IP Vision's boxes already offer access to Freeview channels and the BBC iPlayer, and unlike BT Vision and Virgin Media's offerings can be used with any internet service provider.
The agreement is part of Sky's strategy to make its content available on a broad range of platforms. It also fulfils IP Vision's strategy of partnering with as many third party providers as possible.
The Fetch TV SmartBox, which connects to any broadband connection, incorporates a Freeview+ unit allowing users to record, pause and rewind live TV. The single tuner box retails at £130, while the twin tuner can be bought for £219.
Sky Player will be a standalone service on the Fetch TV box, offering a range of live TV channels and associated on-demand programming from a variety of broadcasters.
Griff Parry, director of On Demand at BSkyB, said: "Offering Sky Player through the Fetch TV box gives UK consumers yet another way to experience Sky content, complementing the services already available on satellite, PC, games consoles and mobile.
"It also demonstrates the continued development of innovative IP-enabled video services.
"As more and more commercial players harness broadband distribution to extend consumer choice, there's an opportunity for all content owners to reach new audiences."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Executive air recruitment Up to £22K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, Central London