Twitter rival MobJet expands in Asia
SINGAPORE - A rival to Twitter called MobJet has expanded into Singapore having launched in Japan earlier this year.
The service is the latest in an increasingly long line to be dubbed by some as Twitter killers.
MobJet allows users to exchange pictures, videos, audio and text without the restriction of character limits. Users simply send an email to post content directly to the service, which can also be shared with other social media networks.
It was founded by James Skinner, a fund manager and consultant who lived in Japan for a number of years before relocating to Singapore.
Skinner said the idea for MobJet came out of the limitations in different content in different places and the restriction of only being able to post text in 140 characters. He says the simplest thing to do is send an email.
He says that he is banking on revenues coming from advertising and the licensing of MobJet's technology.
With an iPhone app on the way, MobJet already works with Twitter and Facebook, allowing users to notify their Twitter and Facebook followers and friends of any new post on MobJet.
MobJet, whose launch party in Singapore was dubbed "When 140 characters just isn't enough", claims it will challenge Twitter and in so doing it will join the ranks of WordPress's Prologue as well as Yonkly, Identi.ca, Plurk, Google Wave and Facebook's revamped status update, which have all been touted as possible rivals to topple Twitter.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- SEO Consultant The Little Black Book Agency £20000 - £25000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Interactive / Digital Designer The Little Black Book Agency £25000 - £35000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Digital Account Executive The Little Black Book Agency £16000 - £18000 per annum, Lancashire
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)