Behavioural targeting still a niche offering for publishers
LONDON - Four-fifths of online publishers are now using some form of targeting to increase the value of advertising on their sites, but only a fifth are using behavioural targeting, according to new research.
The information was gathered anonymously from 150 publishers in a survey sponsored by ad optimisation firm The Rubicon Project and conducted by Econsultancy in August and September.
Geographic and contextual are the most popular methods of targeting, with 51% and 49% respectively employing them. Demographic targeting is used by 31% and time targeting by 25%.
In addition, 45% of publishers allow advertising networks to cookie their visitors in return for a higher CPM.
The survey also pointed to a healthy market for online display advertising. 57% of publishers said revenue had gone up in the past year, compared to 27% who said it had gone down.
This contrasts with the Internet Advertising Bureau's recent study of the online advertising market, which showed that display spend dropped by 5.2% to £316.5m from the first half of 2008 to the first half of 2009.
There was also an indication that publishers are working with an increasing number of ad networks.
A balance of 37% of publishers said they were working with more ad networks than a year ago and a balance of 26% said they expected to be working with more in a year's time.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Senior Optimisation Manager (RTB) Digital Gurus £25000 - £42000 per annum, London
- Senior Category Manager - Tesco Jarlett de Grouchy £55000 - £60000 per annum + Car Allowance + Benefits, Weybridge
- Marketing Manager, Wokingham, up to £45k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Great Benefits, Wokingham
- Account Manger - Marketing and Design Agency - Essex/Herts - £30k - NP072 Stonor £30k, West Essex