Mobile coupon usage to triple over next five years
LONDON - Over 300 million global consumers will use a mobile phone coupon in 2014, with the apps revolution triggering growth in new services, according to Juniper Research.
According to Juniper's report — 'Mobile Coupons & NFC Smart Posters: Strategies, Applications & Forecasts 2009-2014' — by 2014, consumer usage of mobile coupons will generate a redemption value close to $6bn (£3.7bn) globally.
North America and Western Europe are expected to be the major regions for mobile coupon usage.
Juniper said that mobile coupon campaigns sent using location-based applications can be much more effectively targeted than the scattergun approach of traditional coupons.
Howard Wilcox, senior analyst at Juniper Research, said: "We found that with the growth of smart phones, a growing number of coupon-specific downloadable apps are being launched, often linked to location based searches.
"For example, when you are in the mall and you have your smartphone on you with your downloaded coupons app, then you should be able to find your way to a good offer nearby."
However, Juniper's mobile coupons report identified a number of market constraints. One issue raised was the fact that some users could be reluctant to share their mobile number to participate in coupon schemes due to the danger of spam and fake coupons.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Major Players £45000 - £55000 per annum, London