Chinese search giant posed European domain name challenge
LONDON - Chinese search engine Baidu Inc is facing the prospect of having to bid for the domain name Baidu.eu on eBay to prevent it being sold to another company.
Baidu.eu is owned by a Dutch-based web design company, which is also called Baidu.
The Dutch Baidu said it was selling the names as a result of the growth of the Chinese search engine, which in 2008 became the first Chinese company to enter the Nasdaq 100 index.
In a release the web design company said it was already in talks with a number of parties including "a Brazilian-based internet company, an American adult porn search engine and a Thai search engine."
It has also resorted to an attempt to auction the domain name on eBay with a starting bid of $250,000. The auction, which has not yet attracted any bids, is set to end on 19 December.
In addition to baidu.eu the lot contains 15 other Baidu-related domains, a Baidu twitter account and a collection of Baidu trademarks.
It does not include baidu.co.uk, which is owned by a third party, Ian Westle, and diverts to an ink cartridge e-commerce site.
The bad news is Baidu Inc could be forced to buy the names to avoid becoming confused with either competitors or pornography. The good news for the Chinese company is the names all come under one package, so it only has to bid once.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Corporate Marketing Manager University of Westminster £43, 272 p.a. (incl. L.W.A.), Central London