Distillery launches first English whisky in 100 years
LONDON - In a case of selling sand to the Arabs, a Norfolk distillery is set to offer the first English whisky in 100 years and target it north of the border.
The English Distillery Company will be launching its 'Chapter 6' whisky on 16 December. It will go on sale in markets such as Germany, Japan and Canada and a 700ml bottle will cost £34.99 in the UK.
It has given itself a tough task of selling the spirit in Scotland, arguably the home of whisky. To do this it has been sending out emails featuring iconic English branding including a bulldog and an image of St George slaying the dragon.
The distillery went into operation in 2006 and was opened in 2007 by Prince Charles. The drink has had to be stored for three years to be officially classed as whisky.
Despite the prevalence of pub closures and tax rises on alcohol, whisky continues to sell well. Recently Diageo announced plans to double production of Bushmills whiskey, which is distilled in Northern Ireland.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Designer (Packaging, Brochure, POS, Retouching) Creative Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum, London
- Graphic Designer (Branding, Marketing, POS, Packaging) Creative Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum, London