Sky ends paid-content talks with Google's YouTube
LONDON - BSkyB has ended talks with Google about the opportunity for its pay-TV content to be made available on YouTube.
BSkyB was exploring the possibility of uploading full-length shows, such as 'Soccer AM', onto the video-sharing site to allow users to watch for a fee, but has decided against the move.
Google executive David Eun recently confirmed to Reuters that the company was looking at charging subscriptions as an option to secure more long-form content.
While Sky will continue to offer free short video clips of its shows on YouTube, it makes a great deal of its TV service available online through its paid-for SkyPlayer platform. Sky TV subscribers can access this content for free.
Non Sky customers can rent individual programmes to watch through SkyPlayer or alternatively they can subscribe solely to the online service.
A Sky spokesman told Brand Republic: "The pay model is at the heart of our business and allows us to invest significantly in high-quality, distinctive content.
"While we do offer some content on a free basis via both the TV and the web, we have no plans to offer long-form content online outside of the paid-for model."
The news comes after Rupert Murdoch and his executives at News Corporation, the majority owner of BSkyB, labelled Google and other news aggregation sites "parasites", "content kleptomaniacs", "vampires" and "tech tapeworms".
It also comes as Murdoch attempts to put his online newspaper assets, which include The Times and The Sun, behind subscriber paywalls.
Google was not available to comment at time of publication.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- MID-WEIGHT DIGITAL DESIGNER - LONDON - £30K Salt £30000 per annum, City of London