Mobile video and TV revenues to double in four years
LONDON - Annual global mobile video on demand and TV revenues will double over the next four years to €3.4bn (£3bn), according to new research.
Media analysts Screen Digest predicts each sector will be worth €1.7bn by the end of 2013.
It believes most of the growth in mobile video on demand will come in 2010 as mobile handsets increasingly converge with portable media players.
In the mobile TV market it believes the number of subscribers will double to 230 million. According to Screen Digest the football World Cup next year offers the opportunity to energise the market, and in 2013 China and India will generate more revenue than Europe and North America combined.
The wider mobile content market, including applications, games and music, is predicted to double to €8.6bn.
Screen Digest expects Apple to be generating €1.3bn per year by the end of 2013 from its App Store. It has not issued predictions for rival applications stores such as Nokia's Ovi and Google's Android Market because it says current revenues are so small that it cannot make accurate forecasts.
Screen Digest said: "The exploding number of application stores and corresponding development platforms poses a danger - creating unnecessary market fragmentation.
"Screen Digest believes market consolidation is a long way off as the huge corporations behind those application stores - Apple, Google, Nokia, Samsung, Microsoft, Vodafone and Orange - will be happy to compete with each other, and the sheer size of the mobile market will offer enough room for all of them to co-exist."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Mid Weight UX Designer Daniel Marks London 40k, Central London
- Senior UX Architect Daniel Marks London 65k, Central London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Consumer Brands! Royds Raphael £35k-£40k / £150-£220+ day rate depending on experience, Central London
- Integrated Account Manager air recruitment Up to £30K dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Intelligence Manager air recruitment Up to £50K dependent on experience, Central London
- Senior Planner (Brand Engagement) air recruitment Up to £70K dependent on experience, Central London