Mobile video and TV revenues to double in four years
LONDON - Annual global mobile video on demand and TV revenues will double over the next four years to €3.4bn (£3bn), according to new research.
Media analysts Screen Digest predicts each sector will be worth €1.7bn by the end of 2013.
It believes most of the growth in mobile video on demand will come in 2010 as mobile handsets increasingly converge with portable media players.
In the mobile TV market it believes the number of subscribers will double to 230 million. According to Screen Digest the football World Cup next year offers the opportunity to energise the market, and in 2013 China and India will generate more revenue than Europe and North America combined.
The wider mobile content market, including applications, games and music, is predicted to double to €8.6bn.
Screen Digest expects Apple to be generating €1.3bn per year by the end of 2013 from its App Store. It has not issued predictions for rival applications stores such as Nokia's Ovi and Google's Android Market because it says current revenues are so small that it cannot make accurate forecasts.
Screen Digest said: "The exploding number of application stores and corresponding development platforms poses a danger - creating unnecessary market fragmentation.
"Screen Digest believes market consolidation is a long way off as the huge corporations behind those application stores - Apple, Google, Nokia, Samsung, Microsoft, Vodafone and Orange - will be happy to compete with each other, and the sheer size of the mobile market will offer enough room for all of them to co-exist."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London
- Brand Strategy Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £43000 - £48000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London