Peter Rabbit TV series to 'democratise' character's appeal
LONDON - Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit is set to be "democratised" as a brand by a new TV series in 2011 following an agreement between Potter Frederick Warne and licensing agent Chorion.
The two companies will work together on an animation series design for international distribution to exploit the ongoing appeal of Potter's characters, including Jemima Puddle-duck, around the world.
Lord Alli, chairman of Chorion, said the aim was to introduce a new generation of children to the characters which, he told The Guardian, currently appeal to "posh people".
Alli said: "At the moment they are the top end. So posh people buy them in America and posh to middle-class people buy them here. Our job is to take them from the high end to allow all children to buy into it. It's about democratising the brand."
One of Chorion's other properties Paddington Bear, has recently appeared in a Marmite TV advert and promotion. The character is also used on-board British Airways in children's packs.
According to Frederick Warne and Chorion, Potter herself made Peter Rabbit the world's first licensed character when she designed and patented a Peter Rabbit doll in 1903.
She went on to approve the first range of Peter Rabbit licensed merchandise, including a soft toy, puzzle, handkerchief and tea set.
Today the annual value of licensed Beatrix Potter merchandise is $300m (£188m).
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire