Twitter builds team to focus on revenue generation
LONDON - Twitter is looking to recruit a number of staff whose main focus will be to generate cash for the microblogging service.
Twitter: seeks to recruit technical staff
Twitter's website says it is looking "for new members of our technical staff to work on cutting edge monetization projects".
Four jobs have been advertised on Twitter's website directly relating to generating cash including product marketing manager for monetization as well as three software and systems engineering roles.
Several other business development jobs advertised also have revenue generating responsibilities attached to them.
Reuters quotes a source close to Twitter who said: "The company has crossed into the phase where monetization matters. They're ramping it up."
Twitter founder Biz Stone said in November that his company was planning to launch paid-for commercial accounts with additional services for corporate users.
To date Twitter has spent more money than it has generated as it has built up its business to attract more than 40 million users from just a few million a year earlier.
One of the jobs advertised, for a front-end engineer, monetization, includes implementing front-end features for "monetization systems, including customer applications and reporting".
To date Twitter has spent more money than it has generated as it has built up its business to attract more than 40 million uses from just a few million a year earlier.
Those additional users have helped drive Twitter's US traffic to 19.4 million unique visitors in November, according to comScore.
Twitter has raised more than $155m from venture capitalists giving it a valuation of around $1bn.
Until late last year it had generated very little in terms of revenues since its launch in 2006.
In October it struck deals with Google and Microsoft, which were reported to be worth $15m and $10m, licensing them its data feed to use it their real-time search results.
In November when Stone talked about ways Twitter would generate cash in the coming year he cited licensing and syndication as areas it would be looking at. The two business development roles advertised both include a remit to "set up and strike smart, productive licensing deals".
Another area that could lead to cash generating possibilities is that of media partnerships.
Media organisations have been some of the biggest adopters of Twitter with accounts such as @cnnbrk and @breakingnews attracting in excess of 2.8 million and 1.5 million followers respectively.
Some of these are reported to be looking at the idea of paid tweets offered by the likes of Los Angeles start-up Ad.ly.
US celebrity, model and reality TV star Kim Kardashian (@KimKardashian), who has more than 2.7 million followers, has signed up with Ad.ly and is reported to be paid $10,000 for every commercial tweet.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London