VBAT wins task to relaunch Cerveza Cristal
AMSTERDAM - Chile's largest brewer, Compania Cervecerías Unidas, has appointed VBAT to relaunch the country's biggest beer brand, Cerveza Cristal.
Cerveza Cristal: VBAT wins task
The brand development agency has created a brand identity for the beer that includes a new bottle design, with a crystal mark embossed in the foot of the bottle.
The concept of branding in Chile is far less developed than in other parts of the region, the US and UK. Not that long ago, all Chilean beers were simply known as "cerveza".
VBAT, which is no newcomer to the international beer market and has Amstel, Heineken and Maes among its clients, won the business after a pitch against two Benelux and one UK agency.
Jorge Gran, marketing director for the brand, said: "Our brand needed to be refreshed in order to recapture market share. We decided to use an international agency in order to give it the boost that we targeted.
"We have already seen a great response to the new Cristal brand and have our sights set on further growth. Together, our team and the VBAT team created an atmosphere that allowed this project to go further than we could have expected."
Cerveza Cristal is CCU's flagship brand and was launched in Chile in 1978. It has 65% of market share in the South American country, where, unlike many territories around the world, beer drinking is still growing, while wine consumption is in decline.
The brand identity is being rolled out across trade marketing, POS, digital, promotions, sponsorship and advertising.
Eugene Bay, founder and chairman of VBAT, said: "Cristal is a well-loved local icon that had got a bit dusty and needed some rejuvenation. We worked hand-in-glove with the client to develop a totally incorporated brand platform, which is rolling out through all aspects of communication. We haven't lost the original DNA of the brand - we've made it contemporary and discovered a new iconic visual signature."
Compania Cervecerías Unidas, which operates mainly in Chile and Argentina, is the largest Chilean brewer and the second-largest brewer in Argentina. The company also has licensing agreements with Heineken, Schweppes and PepsiCo among others.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire