BR Video: Public supports airbrushing crackdown idea
LONDON - After recent calls for a system to be put in place to show where images in advertising and magazines have been altered, we asked members of the public whether they were in favour in the latest BR Video.
Janice, a 61-year-old HR manager, thought the idea was "a bit pathetic", and like telling people they shouldn't drink and smoke too much.
"On most adverts you expect a bit of airbrushing otherwise everyone would all look grotty the whole time and it would ruin their whole effect," she said.
But younger women were on the side of Dr Linda Papadopoulos, who proposed the system last week in a Home Office-commissioned review on the sexualisation of children.
Sixteen-year olds Stella and Katy both supported the idea. Stella said: "Young girls especially look at airbrushed images and they aspire to be like that, and that's not the way to be. You don't have to be stick-thin to be beautiful."
Thida, 28, said people should know a lot of images in magazines are "just airbrushed over ... it's not true to life, so it is important to state exactly, just like ingredients in a bottle; it's important to have something like that on".
Debbie, who was 42, said it was good idea for teenage girls to be shown that "actresses aren't all perfect".
We also asked which brands people thought were most guilty of using airbrushing. Suggestions included cosmetics brands, including L'Oreal and Max Factor, but also clothing and car brands and "anything featuring Kate Moss".
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London