Fan imitates Ryan Giggs in Manchester United credit card ad
LONDON - The famous celebration produced by Ryan Giggs in Manchester United's 1999 FA Cup semi-final victory over Arsenal, is being recreated in a new TV ad to promote the club's credit card and membership reward schemes.
Manchester United: credit card ad by Origin Creative
The 60-second spot, which was created by the Cheshire-based agency Origin Creative and will run on United's TV channel MUTV, features a fan purchasing a TV using his Manchester United credit card.
The supporter is so happy with his purchase that he decides to celebrate by running out of the store and re-enacting Giggs' iconic celebration, by removing his shirt and swingeing it over his head.
After completing the celebration, the man returns to his disapproving wife, who informs him: "You're not Ryan Giggs...and you've got the car keys".
A voiceover adds: "The Manchester United credit card – well worth celebrating".
Matt Casey, the creative director of Origin Creative, said: "Any diehard United fan will be instantly familiar with the feelings of joy that the Giggs celebration conveys. We thought it was a great way to convey how fantastic the United card's membership privileges are".
United, who face Bayern Munich tonight (30 March) in the UEFA Champions League, has come under fire from a section of its fans in recent weeks, who have voiced their anger regarding how the club is being run.
The fans have given their backing to a group of financiers called the Red Knights, who plan to wrestle control of the club away from the current owners.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Editorial Compliance Telegraph Media Group Competitive + excellent benefits, London
- board director > DIRECT RESPONSE EVANGELIST collectivo to £90k + bens, LONDON
- Director of Marketing Greenwich School of Management Circa £80,000 per annum package + bonus , Greenwich and Greenford, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Brand Manager Amnesty International Secretariat £52,464, WC1X 0DW
- Head of Creative Services [Fill Exclusive] - Unique London Agency - £100k+ Fill Recruitment Ltd £100k+, Central London