Lonely Planet publishes $19.99 iPad app
LONDON - Lonely Planet has created an app for Apple's new iPad that costs $19.99 (£13.20) and showcases 1,000 travel experiences.
Lonely Planet: publishes iPad app
The 1,000 Ultimate Experiences app will allow iPad users to view Lonely Planet's recommended "experiences" through images, video and insights from its leading travel authors.
Inspired by the bestselling Lonely Planet book '1,000 Ultimate Experiences', the app has re-invented the experience of reading a Lonely Planet guide as a deck of cards allowing users to swipe through the top 1,000 ideas, places and activities to inspire their next trip.
The main features of the app include editorial content, professional photography from Lonely Planet Images' collection, Lonely Planet TV videos and the capacity for users to share their favourite experiences with friends. It will not carry advertising.
Chris Boden, Lonely Planet's director of mobile and innovation, said: "The multimedia capabilities of iPad allow us to offer travellers rich imagery and video, and have given us the opportunity to reinvent travel books in a playful and tactile way... which is something you haven't been able to do with digital media up until now."
Matt Goldberg, CEO of the BBC Worldwide-owned company, described the iPad as a "ground breaking device that gives us the flexibility to publish content in extraordinary ways we would never have thought possible a year ago".
Lonely Planet's Discover guides – a new full-colour series to help travellers take in the "must see" parts of new destinations, is in development for the iPad in iBook format.
Titles will include Great Britain, Italy, Spain, France and Ireland.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Global Production Director Dynamic New Alliances £90000.00 - £130000.00 per annum + relocation package , South Korea