Lonely Planet publishes $19.99 iPad app
LONDON - Lonely Planet has created an app for Apple's new iPad that costs $19.99 (£13.20) and showcases 1,000 travel experiences.
Lonely Planet: publishes iPad app
The 1,000 Ultimate Experiences app will allow iPad users to view Lonely Planet's recommended "experiences" through images, video and insights from its leading travel authors.
Inspired by the bestselling Lonely Planet book '1,000 Ultimate Experiences', the app has re-invented the experience of reading a Lonely Planet guide as a deck of cards allowing users to swipe through the top 1,000 ideas, places and activities to inspire their next trip.
The main features of the app include editorial content, professional photography from Lonely Planet Images' collection, Lonely Planet TV videos and the capacity for users to share their favourite experiences with friends. It will not carry advertising.
Chris Boden, Lonely Planet's director of mobile and innovation, said: "The multimedia capabilities of iPad allow us to offer travellers rich imagery and video, and have given us the opportunity to reinvent travel books in a playful and tactile way... which is something you haven't been able to do with digital media up until now."
Matt Goldberg, CEO of the BBC Worldwide-owned company, described the iPad as a "ground breaking device that gives us the flexibility to publish content in extraordinary ways we would never have thought possible a year ago".
Lonely Planet's Discover guides – a new full-colour series to help travellers take in the "must see" parts of new destinations, is in development for the iPad in iBook format.
Titles will include Great Britain, Italy, Spain, France and Ireland.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire