MDA releases mobile growth trends data
The Mobile Data Association has launched its first UK Mobile Report which provides statistics and analysis on current, historical and seasonal trends in the use of mobile technology.
Mike Short, chairman of the Mobile Data Association, said: "The report contains some very compelling indications that mobile usage is evolving. While the strong upward curve of SMS volumes continues, perhaps a more telling headline number is the penetration of mobile internet usage and MMS. We are really starting to see a much greater variety of mobile data volumes."
Key headlines from the report include:
- UK consumers ‘click’ with mobile picture messaging
- UK mobile industry never stronger ahead of next week’s global mobile conference in Barcelona
- Some 23% of mobile phone users are now accessing the internet on their phone
- 5,000 text messages are sent every second in the UK
Statistics to support this are:
2007 annual figures
Text Messaging (SMS) total = 56,922,541,647
Picture Messaging (MMS) total = 448,962,359
Mobile Internet (MI) total users = 17,589,351
- 290,334,846 text messages were sent on New Years Eve 2007, 30% more than New Years Eve 2006
- 1,977,308 video and picture messages were sent on New Years Eve 2007
Picture Messaging (MMS)
The MDA says, in its first ever aggregation of MMS statistics from UK mobile operators, there is a clear indication of the interest UK consumers have in snapping and sending picture and video messages.
MMS headline statistics
- 55% growth of MMS messages sent in December 2007 (32 million sent in December 2006 Vs 58 million sent in December 2007)
- 448,962,359 MMS picture messages sent in 2007, the equivalent of 19 million traditional (24 exposure) rolls of camera film
Mobile Internet (MI)
- 17 million people accessed the Internet on their phone in December. This equates to 23% of mobile users in UK
Text Messaging (SMS)
- 6 billion text messages were sent in December 2007 - almost 5,000 every second
- 40% year on year growth in SMS volumes
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Display Account Manager- Print and Digital £35K Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London