Starcom social media tracking points to polarised opinion on leader debates
LONDON - Analysis of more than one million online discussions by Starcom Mediavest Group put Nick Clegg as a clear winner in last night's televised election debate.
Nick Clegg: a solid performance in the TV debates
The agency group tracked discussions on over UK blogs, websites, forums, and social networks, including Twitter and Facebook, comparing positive and negative discussions 24 hours prior to the broadcast and in the immediate pre and post debate, from 7pm to 3am.
The findings come after last night's first televised debate between the three main parties, which drew 9.4m TV viewers and sparked an online discussion frenzy. Prior to the broadcasts both Facebook and ITV.com launched platforms to track public opinion.
Trending topics on Twitter during the debates included the names of all the election candidates, while '#leadersdebate' is still currently trending.
Starcom said Nick Clegg achieved the biggest increase in positive discussions towards him, increasing 93% during and after the event. Negative discussion rose 20%.
David Cameron recorded positive and negative opinion at 44%, while findings from the same sample showed Gordon Brown received a 74% rise in positive discussion, although negative discussions were also up 53%.
All parties saw increases in levels of online discussion sparked by the debate, although Clegg once again emerged as the leader in popularity. The Liberal Democrats saw a 646% increase in discussion around their education policies, 497% increase around law and order and a 423% increase in relation to Leader.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Senior Sales Manager - Leading Ad Tech Business Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + 100% COMMISSION , London