Man United supporters target Nike, Audi, Budweiser and Betfair
LONDON - The Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) has ramped up its strategy to oust current owners, the Glazers, by seeking support from the football club's official commercial partners.
Manchester United: fans oppose Glazer ownership
MUST targeted Manchester United's sponsors during the game against Tottenham on Saturday by displaying a banner with the catchphrase 'Time To Choose Sides: The Fans or The Glazers'.
Members of the trust have become disheartened with its current owners, who they feel aren't running the club satifactorily and blame the family for its £700 million debt.
According to Forbes Manchester United is valued at £1.19 billion, the highest valued club in the world.
Despite posting record-breaking profits, MUST feels that increased ticket prices and corporate benefits are isolating its 154,000 members.
Duncan Drasdo, chief executive of MUST, said: "The message we are sending to the sponsors including Nike, Audi, Budweiser, Betfair and new shirt sponsor AON is an appeal for them to speak to the Glazers on behalf of the 154,000 members who’ve already joined MUST, as well as the millions of United supporters around the world who long for an end to the damaging ownership of the Glazers.
"We believe they will be compelled to listen to the combined voice of the sponsors and the supporters."
As well as the banner, MUST will be distributing 70,000 'recruiting cards' to supporters.
The Red Knights, a consortium of businessmen led by Jim O'Neill of Goldman Sachs, is reported to be readying a takeover of the club. The group has reported to have raised £1.5 billion from investors.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Manager, Integrated, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- SAM/Experienced AM, London, up to £38,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £32000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Events / Production Manager (Gaming/Tech Clients) - Integrated Marketing Agency Rocket Recruitment £28,000-35,000, Central London
- Senior Manager - CRM Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £45,000 - £50,000, Central London