MAA calls clients 'unfair and greedy' over payment terms
Clients are "unfair and greedy" in their approach to paying agencies, according to the Marketing Agencies Association.
Millner: calling on MAA members to charge for late payment
The MAA attacked clients for moving payment terms to their agencies from a standard 30 days to up to 120 or 150 days after project completion.
The association said that this, combined with an escalation of project-based work, places increased pressures on agencies.
It called on its members to charge clients for late payment and hopes this will encourage clients to revert to paying agencies in 30 days.
The MAA's move follows research issued in January that showed that the average fee for its member agencies declined by 18.4 per cent in the decade to 2011.
MAA figures show that 72 per cent of its member agency income is from project-based work, a slight increase year on year as clients look for tighter financial controls and fewer retained agency relationships.
The trade body is chaired by the Iris founder Ian Millner and represents 80 digital, direct and integrated agencies.
Scott Knox, the managing director of the MAA, said: "We are hearing from agencies dismayed at payment terms, which have crept up from 30 days to 90, then to 110, 120 or even 150. This is nothing short of unfair and greedy."
The MAA said that clients "hide behind" policy and international directives to avoid prompt payment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...