Carlsberg targets 'beer-haters' with Copenhagen lager
Carlsberg's 'metrosexual' lager brand Copenhagen will make its UK debut next month.
Carlsberg: launching Copenhagen lager in the UK
The 4.5% beer, launched last year in Denmark, has secured its first UK listing, with Asda.
The product, brand and design have been developed by Carlsberg’s international innovation department in Copenhagen, in collaboration with the Carlsberg Research Centre. The brewer intends to make the lager a global brand.
According to Carlsberg, the design is intended to reflect the Danish capital’s ‘urban, cosmopolitan and designer image’. The branding incorporates Copenhagen’s latitudinal point, 56° north.
It is not the first time Carlsberg has attempted to grow its female consumer base. In 2010 it launched alcoholic fruit spritzer Eve, which featured Louise Redknapp as brand ambassador. While the product is still on the market in parts of Europe, Carlsberg pulled it from the UK after a year, deciding that it would require too many resources to establish it.
Speaking at the latest launch, Khalil Younes, Carlsberg’s senior vice-president of group sales, marketing and innovation described Copenhagen as a ‘highly drinkable beer, a beer for the beer-hater’.
He added: ‘It’s a gender-neutral metrosexual beer which is working well in northern Europe, so we are expanding it.’
The image and bitterness of lager often acts as a barrier to female drinkers, but Younes argued that Copenhagen overcomes this.
David Scott, Carlsberg UK’s director of marketing, said: ‘Over the next few months, we will be working closely with Asda and developing long-term plans.’
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...