Facebook demands £50,000 media investment from brands for Deals tool
Brands that opt to use Facebook Deals, the social network's location-based advertising tool, will have to invest a minimum £50,000 media spend with the site to do so.
Facebook: charging brands £50,000 for its Deals service
Facebook Deals allows users to 'check in', using the Facebook Places feature on their mobile phones, to gain access to special offers in restaurants and shops.
The service had initially been free for brands to use since its beta launch in the UK in January, according to sources, as Facebook aimed to build momentum.
However, the social network is now asking brands that want to use the service to commit £50,000 to banner adspend.
Facebook's Deals help pages state that check-in deals are free to create, but that product and pricing are subject to change.
Mazda, Alton Towers, Debenhams and Yo! Sushi were among the first brand partners announced on its UK launch.
The Deals service has been available in the US since November. The pricing arrangement between Facebook and brands in the US is not known but it offers a Deals self service tool which is free.
A spokesman for Facebook declined to comment on the story, stating: 'We work closely with the brands running the deals to ensure they provide the best user experience.'
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...