Groupon rapped for exaggerating pre-deal price
The advertising watchdog has upheld a complaint that an offer from Groupon exaggerated the advertised value of eyelash extensions.
Groupon: ASA rules that eyelash extension offer is misleading
The ruling is the seventh that has gone against Groupon since December, but is the first triggered by a complaint that the pre-deal price was overstated. Other cases have centred on the non-availability of advertised offers and the exaggeration of a discount.
The offer stated: "Lengthen Those Lashes with Eyelash Extensions from Bo Chic for £24 instead of £90."
One person, who had taken advantage of the offer, contacted the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) to challenge whether the advertised value of the treatment was exaggerated.
In its response, Groupon claimed the Bo Chic salon normally charged £90 for the eyelash extension service, and provided an email price list from the salon owner that confirmed that this was its charge for the service.
However, the ASA said Groupon was unable to provide documentary evidence that Bo Chic salon normally charged £90 for the eyelash extensions service.
It decided the value of the treatment and subsequently, the savings claim, had been exaggerated, and concluded that the ad was misleading.
It told Groupon not to run the ad again in its current form and to ensure that it held documentary evidence of its suppliers' pre-discount prices.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...