Diageo to switch focus to emerging markets
Diageo is to strip a layer of management from its European operations in a cost-cutting exercise that is likely to result in the abolition of its UK marketing director role.
Diageo: switching focus to emerging markets
The change is the result of stagnant growth in Europe and Diageo's desire to deploy more resources to emerging markets.
Matt Barwell, the European marketing and innovation director, has been appointed to Western Europe consumer marketing and innovation director.
Philip Gladman, who holds the position of UK marketing director, will switch to become category marketing director of Diageo's white spirit brands, such as Smirnoff and Gordon's Gin.
In addition, it has appointed Guy Escolme as category marketing director of whiskey, Tanya Clarke as category marketing director of beer and Chris Lock as category marketing director of Baileys and portfolio.
At last month's Cannes Lions festival, Diageo chief marketing officer Andy Fennell said that emerging markets would account for about 50% of Diageo's business within the next four years.
It recently took a majority stake in the Chinese spirit company that owns the popular ShuiJingFang brand. Diageo said it is reviewing its model but that it is 'too early to signal any outcome'.
Matthew Barwell, said: ‘We are confident that this new Western Europe organisation will provide a tremendous platform for growth for our brands. We will continue to focus on delivering breakthrough marketing content that delights consumers and that is increasingly participative in nature.’
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London