Diageo to switch focus to emerging markets
Diageo is to strip a layer of management from its European operations in a cost-cutting exercise that is likely to result in the abolition of its UK marketing director role.
Diageo: switching focus to emerging markets
The change is the result of stagnant growth in Europe and Diageo's desire to deploy more resources to emerging markets.
Matt Barwell, the European marketing and innovation director, has been appointed to Western Europe consumer marketing and innovation director.
Philip Gladman, who holds the position of UK marketing director, will switch to become category marketing director of Diageo's white spirit brands, such as Smirnoff and Gordon's Gin.
In addition, it has appointed Guy Escolme as category marketing director of whiskey, Tanya Clarke as category marketing director of beer and Chris Lock as category marketing director of Baileys and portfolio.
At last month's Cannes Lions festival, Diageo chief marketing officer Andy Fennell said that emerging markets would account for about 50% of Diageo's business within the next four years.
It recently took a majority stake in the Chinese spirit company that owns the popular ShuiJingFang brand. Diageo said it is reviewing its model but that it is 'too early to signal any outcome'.
Matthew Barwell, said: ‘We are confident that this new Western Europe organisation will provide a tremendous platform for growth for our brands. We will continue to focus on delivering breakthrough marketing content that delights consumers and that is increasingly participative in nature.’
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...