Federer still 'best brand ambassador' in tennis despite Wimbledon defeat
Despite his quarter-final exit from this year's Wimbledon tennis championships, Swiss star Roger Federer remains the sport's best brand ambassador, according to a consumer poll commissioned by Marketing.
Roger Federer: appeared in ads for Credit Suisse
The OnePoll research also showed that Britvic-owned soft drink Robinsons is the brand most associated with the tournament.
Of the 1000 respondents, almost 31% cited six-time champion Federer as the best ambassador for brands. Briton Andy Murray was in second place, with slightly more than 17% of the vote. Federer represents the Gillette, Credit Suisse and coffee maker Jura brands, among others.
About 14% said men's runner-up Rafael Nadal was the best ambassador, while of the female players, Russian Maria Sharapova was considered the most attractive prospect for brands.
From a list of official sponsors, 47% of respondents identified Robinsons most closely with the championships; Slazenger was second with 23%.
However, there was a lack of awareness of sponsors IBM and Sony's association with Wimbledon. Just 1.6% and 0.6%, respectively, connected the pair with the event.
Only 23% of respondents believed Wimbledon was becoming 'too commercial'; more than 53% disagreed. The 2011 men's title was won by Serb Novak Djokovic, who beat Nadal in front of a UK TV audience of 5.5m.
The Czech Petra Kvitova won the women's title, while Murray lost in the semi-finals.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Account Director The Great & The Good £45000 - £50000 per annum, West End
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)