Mumsnet pulls Sky campaign in protest at NotW
Mumsnet has pulled a campaign promoting Sky to its users, following increasingly vociferous calls from its influential community that it should not be associated with a Murdoch-owned organisation, after further phone-hacking allegations at the News of the World.
Mumsnet: drops Sky promotion campaign over phone-hacking claims
Chief executive Justine Roberts said suggestions from its users on the Mumsnet forums for the site to disassociate itself from Sky had become too loud to ignore, although she added it had "not taken them long to make the decision".
Mumsnet was two months into a three-month campaign promoting Sky's services. The decision to cancel the campaign is the first example of contagion between News of the World and other Rupert Murdoch-controlled media organisations.
Roberts said even though Murdoch’s News Corporation, which owns News International, publisher of the News of the World, is only a part owner of BSkyB, the community believed it should not be running advertising it felt was associated with the Milly Dowler phone-hacking allegations currently engulfing the paper.
She said Mumsnet’s values were based on "helping mothers to have a better life", and promoting Sky at this time did not fit with its stance.
Roberts said: "The Milly Dowler allegations have been universally condemned on the thread. The story has really put phone hacking into perspective for everyone. It is not some nebulous media war any more."
News Corp is currently attempting to take full control of BSkyB.
Culture, media and sport secretary Jeremy Hunt last week gave the green light for News Corp to make a bid for the company, subject to a short consultation period that is nearing an end.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...