Morrisons eyes Sainsbury's 30-year 'Good food' strapline
Morrisons is understood to be considering launching a new ad slogan, which borrows from rival Sainsbury's former 'Good food costs less' strapline.
Morrisons: registered 'Making good food cost less’ trademark
The Bradford-based supermarket, the only one of the ‘big four’ without a consistent slogan, has registered two variations of the trademark ‘Morrisons. Making good food cost less’ and a second referring to ‘great food’.
Although a Morrisons spokeswoman said there were ‘currently no plans’ to use the line, a source close to the retailer said several slogans were under consideration, with ‘Making good food cost less’ among the options. ‘I believe the discussions are ongoing, but I’m interested that they’ve only trademarked this option,' he added.
Up until five years ago, Britain’s fourth biggest supermarket had used ‘More reasons to shop at Morrisons’. However, since then it has used variations playing on the word ‘fresh’, with 'Eat Fresh, Pay Less' and 'Great British Pricecrunch' currently in use.
A Sainsbury’s insider told Marketing: ‘Some say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Others might think it shows a lack of originality. We couldn’t possibly say.’
The Sainsbury’s slogan, first used in 1959, ran until 1991. Asda used the line ‘Good food costs less at Asda’ in a Christmas campaign in 2009.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...