Twitter in agency hunt to boost consumer appeal
Twitter has fired the starting gun on a major pitch process as it attempts to become a more mainstream consumer brand. The social network is looking for its first UK PR agency to position it as a people-focused brand and challenge Facebook.
Human interest: Twitter wants to appear more people-focused
The pitch process, which coincides with an agency search by rival LinkedIn, has seen the site hold talks with a number of consumer agencies with the aim of rapidly boosting user numbers.
Although it is viewed as an important site by journalists, brands and celebrities, Twitter has just ten million active UK users. Facebook has 30 million registered UK users.
Twitter’s chosen agency will be charged with making the site’s content more relevant to consumers by creating media outreach programmes using human interest stories about its users.
The search is not expected to cover corporate or crisis comms work, despite the brand being at the centre of a number of controversies over the past year.
The site’s use by rioters during last summer’s civil unrest across the country was much debated, as was its use to undermine super-injunctions.
In March, a student who posted racially offensive comments on the site about footballer Fabrice Muamba was jailed for 56 days.
The pitch comes after newly appointed European comms manager Rachel Bremer revealed in PRWeek last June: ‘I’ll be looking at promoting Twitter to UK consumers.’
Twitter declined to comment on the agency search, but it is understood to have met a shortlist of agencies.
Meanwhile, LinkedIn has also started talks with agencies, putting its UK agency Edelman on alert.
The social networking site, used by more than nine million members in the UK, confirmed the process but stated Edelman would still be used on a European and global basis.
Twitter in the UK
- Twitter opened its London office in June 2011 and now employs 30 people.
- More than 32,000 tweets a minute were sent during the Champions League Final on 19 May.
- The UK is the fourth most active nation of tweeters, according to Semiocast.
- Twitter has 24 million registrations but only ten million active members.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £30000 - £38000 per annum, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...