Paddy Power agrees to pay £80,000 underpants fine
Paddy Power has agreed to pay the €100,000 (£80,000) fine handed out to Danish football star Nicklas Bendtner for wearing Paddy Power-branded underpants during Denmark's Euro 2012 match against Portugal last week.
Nicklas Bendtner: Paddy Power to pay player's fine for underwear stunt
The bookie has U-turned on its original stance, which was to back Bendtner's appeal to UEFA over the severity of the fine, without committing to pay out financially.
Now, however, Paddy Power has agreed to stump up the £80.000, claiming that it's what its fans want.
Paddy Power said it had been "inundated" with messages via social media suggesting it should pay the fine.
The company said: "We pride ourselves on listening to our customers and what we heard loud and clear yesterday was that Nicklas Bendtner should not suffer as a result of UEFA's double standards."
The fine and a one-match ban followed the Danish striker pulling up his football shirt to reveal Paddy Power-branded underwear during the match.
UEFA, the organisers of Euro 2012, took such exception to Bendtner's display during the game on 13 June, that they imposed the fine and match ban.
Bendtner claimed he was not breaking any advertising laws.
Denmark's football association is sponsored by Ladbrokes.
UEFA rules dictate that clothing, other than football kit, worn during the tournament must be free of any sponsor advertising.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...