Cannes 2012: Italy's controversial Benetton ad takes Grand Prix for Press
UK agencies put in a stronger showing in the Press category this year, but the Grand Prix went to a controversial Benetton ad from Italy featuring world leaders kissing.
Grand Prix winner: Benneton's “unhate” by in-house agency Fabrica
Bartle Bogle Hegarty led the UK charge with two Golds for its Axe/Lynx press executions "fireworks" and "petrol station".
DLKW Lowe London won three Silvers for its OMO work "mud", "adventures" and "bravery" and Wieden & Kennedy got two Silvers for Honda "fish" and "lightbulb".
DDB UK got awarded for Harvey Nichols with "balaclava" and "stocking" from the store’s summer campaign winning Bronze . The agency also picked up a Bronze for its Volkwagen work.
The Grand Prix winner, the Benetton campaign "unhate" by the brand’ by the brand's Italian in-house agency Fabrica, was roundly praised by the jury for prompting a global debate as well as instigating a comeback for Benetton, which has a history of controversial advertising.
The ad, which includes an image of German Chancellor Angela Merkal and former French President Nicolas Sarkozy appearing to kiss, was "above the others by a million miles", according to Tham KhaiMeng, Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide chief creative officer and president of the Press jury.
72andSunny in Amsterdam also worked on the Grand Prix winning campaign, but the credit for the top prize went to Fabrica at the client’s request.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)