Cannes Diary 2012: When the old guard meet the newbies
Still harbouring feelings of self-loathing?
Claire Beale and Jon Hamm
If so, this reminder of antics in the South of France last week won't help. This year seemed bigger and sweatier than ever. Like sports day at a progressive school, everyone was a winner. There are now so many categories at the awards, the only ones not to win a Lion are those who refuse to pay the entry fee.
The Cannes old guard lived up to their reputations - in a quick sleight of hand, Paul Lawson managed to separate himself from his phone and his American Express black card on the Carlton Terrace, going from esteemed agency executive to bewildered homeless bum in a matter of seconds.
The Cannes newbies Rob Doubal and Lolly Thomson, the new McCann London executive creative directors, quickly made a name for themselves by revealing hidden talents. Thomson, it turns out, is an expert knife-thrower, while Doubal - and we quote - "shits on birds".
We would like to reassure any nervous females at McCann that the birds in question are strictly of the feathered variety (he is on a quest for vengeance after a seagull poo-bombed him at lunch on the beach).
If all this reminiscing isn't enough for you, it's easy to relive the buzz on the Carlton Terrace. Just grab a Jeroboam of rose and head down to Oxford Circus Tube station at rush hour on a hot day.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...