Britvic in £1.4bn merger discussions with Irn Bru owner
Robinson's owner Britvic is in merger discussions with Irn Bru maker AG Barr following an approach by the latter.
Irn Bru: could be joining brands like Robinsons
A merger would combine AG Barr brands Irn Bru, Tizer and Rubicon with Britvic's line-up of Robinson’s, Tango, J2O, Drench, and Purdey’s.
Britvic also makes other companies own-brands and has a bottling distribution deal with PepsiCo for the UK and Ireland, which sees the company distribute 7UP, Pepsi Max, Gatorade and Mountain Dew. It handles marketing for a selection of PepsiCo-owned "seed brands", including the SoBe energy drink lines and Lipton Ice Tea.
Roger White, chief executive of AG Barr, would become chief executive of the combined group with Britvic’s chief financial officer, John Gibney, taking the same position.
Changes to marketing teams have not been outlined at this stage so it is not clear what would happen to the roles of Simon Stewart and Adrian Troy, the marketing directors at Britvic and AG Barr respectively.
AG Barr shareholders would own 37% of the enlarged company and Britvic shareholders would own 63%. Both companies are listed on the stockmarket: Britvic is valued at £909m and AG Barr at £502m.
Britvic said: "Discussions are at an early stage and, whilst there can be no certainty at this stage that such discussions will conclude successfully, agreement has been reached with respect to certain key aspects of the merger."
"The combination would have compelling industrial logic and represents an opportunity for both companies to enhance their industry position, and achieve significant synergies and shareholder value."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...