MediaCom Sport to expand into Russia, Brazil, US and Germany
MediaCom Sport, the specialist sponsorship and strategy team, is set to roll out its operation in four key markets in the coming months, starting with Russia this week.
Pelé: has four-year global partnership deal with MediaCom Sport
MediaCom Sport Russia & CIS is opening for business in Moscow and will soon be followed by a further three new offices servicing the US, Brazil and Germany within three months.
The agency has appointed Ken Crease, the former managing director of Sport Media Group, to lead its Moscow office.
The eastern European market is expected to be a key market for sports sponsorship in the next two years, with Russia hosting both the Winter Olympics in 2014 and the Football World Cup in 2018.
A number of MediaCom clients are already reported to be signed as partners for the two events and total sponsorship deals around Sochi 2014 are tipped to be worth $1.2bn (£74m).
Crease said: "Russia is going to be at the centre of global sport for the next six years. Participating in sport presents great opportunities for brands to forge strong bonds with consumers.
"Pride in Russia's ability to win the rights to host these events will ensure that associated brands reap the rewards."
The expansion of WPP's MediaCom Sport network follows a strong year of growth for established sponsorship specialists in 2012.
The sector is expected to be worth $45b (£28bn) n in 2015, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers.
In the UK, MediaCom has bolstered its London headquarters with the senior appointments of James Hough, John Scurfield and Misha Sher.
Hough joins from Havas Sports & Entertainment and Scurfield joins from OMD’s Fuse, where he was head of sponsorship in the UK. Together they form part of the new leadership team.
Sher is responsible for developing MediaCom Sport’s four-year deal to support brand extensions for Brazilian legend Pelé.
He has previously overseen global partnerships for Glasgow Rangers FC and also worked for Fox Soccer Channel, Soccerex and Brown Brothers Harriman & Co in Boston.
MediaCom Sport offers four key areas of services: strategic advice, rights negotiation, rights activation and measurement.Follow @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)