Clearcast turns down SodaStream ad appeal
SodaStream is considering legal action after Clearcast turned down the brand's appeal against its decision to block the broadcast of its new TV campaign, because it "denigrated" the bottled-drinks market.
Clearcast upheld its original ban, claiming the ad (above) "could be seen as telling people not to go to supermarkets and buy soft drinks, instead help to save the environment by buying a SodaStream".
Fiona Hope, SodaStream managing director, said she was "extremely concerned" about the final decision and claimed the brand was seeking legal advice following today’s news.
The ad, created by Alex Bogusky and Rob Schuham at Common Agency, featured batches of unidentified soft drinks in plastic bottles, spontaneously combusting every time someone pushed the top of their SodaStream machine.
It was pulled hours before it was due to air in the UK, despite already appearing on TV in the US and Australia as part of an £11m global campaign.
SodaStream then hit back with a new ad called "blacked-out bubbles" that showed a black screen, save for the words, "If you love the bubbles set them free," directing viewers to the original ad on YouTube. It has been viewed more than 1.2 million times on the site.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London