Virgin Media ends free Wi-Fi for all on the Tube
Wi-Fi on the London Underground will only be free to customers of Virgin Media, Vodafone and EE from today, as a result of deals that were announced last year.
Virgin Media: repackages Wi-Fi service on the Tube
Passengers who want to use Wi-Fi on the Tube and are not customers of one of the contributing networks can continue to access it on a pay-as-you go basis for either £2 for a day, £5 for a week or £15 for a month.
Passengers will also be able to purchase a monthly pass during February that will provide them with three months' access for the price of one, as a special offer.
However, everyone will still be able to access the free travel, entertainment and news content. Virgin Media estimates that 76% of Greater London consumers are subscribed to the service.
Virgin has emailed everyone who has signed up for the service on the London Underground link to tell them to register with their provider and move to the new service over the coming days.
Additionally, 11 more stations are moving online this week, taking the total number of connected stations up to 103. By the end of March 120 underground stations will have Wi-Fi.
The stations joining the network this week are: Gloucester Road; Highbury & Islington; Kentish Town; Great Portland Street; Hammersmith (District & Piccadilly); Tooting Bec; Tooting Broadway; Hampstead; Redbridge; and Blackhorse Road.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)