Warren Buffett snaps up Heinz for £18bn
Heinz has been sold to the high-profile US financier Warren Buffett for $28bn (£18bn).
Heinz: acquired by US financier Warren Buffett
The deal has been described by Heinz as "historic", and marks the biggest deal to date in the food industry.
Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Fund, was backed by investment firm 3G Capital.
The takeover has been approved by the Heinz board and will now need to be approved by shareholders.
William Johnson, chairman, president and chief executive of Heinz, said: "The Heinz brand is one of the most respected brands in the global food industry and this historic transaction provides tremendous value to Heinz shareholders.
"We look forward to partnering with Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital, both greatly respected investors, in what be an exciting new chapter in the history of Heinz."
Berkshire Hathaway and backers 3G Capital – the company which purchased Burger King in 2010 – have pledged to keep the Heinz headquarters in Pittsburgh.
In the UK and Ireland, Heinz employs around 2,500 people across its food factories and at its UK headquarters in Middlesex.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Senior Sales Manager - Leading Ad Tech Business Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + 100% COMMISSION , London