Xbox will not give social precedence despite backlash
Microsoft claims social media will not take precedence over other marketing channels for its Xbox brand, despite an online backlash over the unveiling of its new console.
Xbox One: Microsoft views console as an all-in-one entertainment system
Some features, including the need to connect the Xbox One console to the web every day and restrictions around sharing games, have proved unpopular online. This has resulted in the majority of social media conversations about the upcoming console being negative.
"Candid feedback" from the public resulted in Microsoft performing a dramatic u-turn and reversing controversial new features.
However, Graeme Boyd, Xbox EMEA social marketing manager, claims Xbox will not give precedence to social.
Boyd said: "Our customers are naturally social and love talking about their likes, dislikes and experiences.
"So for us it’s key that we embrace that behaviour and facilitate those conversations. But it doesn’t take precedence over other marketing channels."
Xbox is lining up a big social media push ahead of the Gamescom videogame conference in
Boyd said Jam's appointment gives Xbox a, "great opportunity to drive consistency and best practice at a regional level, while still giving our markets the flexibility to execute locally."
Microsoft is positioning its Xbox One console as an all-in-one entertainment system to emulate the success of its current Xbox 360 console, which has sold more than 76 million units worldwide.
The brand also has more than 48 million members subscribed to Xbox Live, which it calls the "world’s premier social entertainment network".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)