Xbox will not give social precedence despite backlash
Microsoft claims social media will not take precedence over other marketing channels for its Xbox brand, despite an online backlash over the unveiling of its new console.
Xbox One: Microsoft views console as an all-in-one entertainment system
Some features, including the need to connect the Xbox One console to the web every day and restrictions around sharing games, have proved unpopular online. This has resulted in the majority of social media conversations about the upcoming console being negative.
"Candid feedback" from the public resulted in Microsoft performing a dramatic u-turn and reversing controversial new features.
However, Graeme Boyd, Xbox EMEA social marketing manager, claims Xbox will not give precedence to social.
Boyd said: "Our customers are naturally social and love talking about their likes, dislikes and experiences.
"So for us it’s key that we embrace that behaviour and facilitate those conversations. But it doesn’t take precedence over other marketing channels."
Xbox is lining up a big social media push ahead of the Gamescom videogame conference in
Boyd said Jam's appointment gives Xbox a, "great opportunity to drive consistency and best practice at a regional level, while still giving our markets the flexibility to execute locally."
Microsoft is positioning its Xbox One console as an all-in-one entertainment system to emulate the success of its current Xbox 360 console, which has sold more than 76 million units worldwide.
The brand also has more than 48 million members subscribed to Xbox Live, which it calls the "world’s premier social entertainment network".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London
- FABULOUS FREELANCERS? Look no further! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Creative Artworker become £28K, Central London