Five snaps up rights to hit US TV series starring Hugh Laurie
LONDON - Five has bought the UK rights to the Hugh Laurie-fronted medical drama 'House' from NBC Universal, which has become a big hit on US television.
Laurie, famous for his roles in TV's 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie' and the 'Stuart Little' films, stars as Dr Gregory House, a maverick anti-social American doctor who specialises in infectious diseases.
Together with an elite medical team at a New Jersey hospital they solve the cases no one else can.
The series premiered in the US on the Fox network and quickly became a ratings hit.
The show's producers took a gamble on Laurie after a search for the quintessential American failed to come up trumps.
Laurie auditioned for the role by video from his hotel in in Namibia, where he was shooting the recently released film 'Flight of the Phoenix'.
One of the show's executive directors Bryan Singer, director of 'X-Men' and 'X-Men 2', saw the audition tape and declared that was just want he wanted: an American guy, unaware that Laurie was English.
It currently attracts an average 18m viewers every week, putting it in the US top 10.
The series will broadcast weekly from June 9 at 10pm.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Manager fishtank 24k to 33k per year GBP, Surrey
- Junior Account Manager fishtank 22k to 28k per year GBP, Buckinghamshire
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...