Half of marketing and communications staff face burnout
LONDON - Around half of those working in the marketing, advertising, sales and PR sectors are at risk of burning out, according to a new survey.
The research, by recruitment firm Hudson UK, found that 44% of those in the sectors had experience of one or more symptoms of overwork and burnout.
This leads employers and employees to feel disillusioned with their job, demotivated and exhausted both mentally and physically, according to Richard Baker, Hudson UK head of sales and marketing.
According to Baker: "Working long hours and being available 24/7 goes with the territory for many workers. Burnout, however, goes deeper than this.
"For employers, an increase in absenteeism, premature career change and a decline in interest and pro-activity among employees can have a serious long-term effect on business success."
The survey was carried out in May by The Survey Shop and included interviews with 107 workers, employers and human resources staff in the marketing, advertising, sales and PR sectors.
Around a half of employers and employees thought the situation had worsened in the last five years.
Of the HR personnel and employers interviewed, one in seven admitted their firms had lost staff due to burnout but, worryingly, 65% had no formal system in place to help burnout sufferers.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)