Half of marketing and communications staff face burnout
LONDON - Around half of those working in the marketing, advertising, sales and PR sectors are at risk of burning out, according to a new survey.
The research, by recruitment firm Hudson UK, found that 44% of those in the sectors had experience of one or more symptoms of overwork and burnout.
This leads employers and employees to feel disillusioned with their job, demotivated and exhausted both mentally and physically, according to Richard Baker, Hudson UK head of sales and marketing.
According to Baker: "Working long hours and being available 24/7 goes with the territory for many workers. Burnout, however, goes deeper than this.
"For employers, an increase in absenteeism, premature career change and a decline in interest and pro-activity among employees can have a serious long-term effect on business success."
The survey was carried out in May by The Survey Shop and included interviews with 107 workers, employers and human resources staff in the marketing, advertising, sales and PR sectors.
Around a half of employers and employees thought the situation had worsened in the last five years.
Of the HR personnel and employers interviewed, one in seven admitted their firms had lost staff due to burnout but, worryingly, 65% had no formal system in place to help burnout sufferers.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire