Half of marketing and communications staff face burnout
LONDON - Around half of those working in the marketing, advertising, sales and PR sectors are at risk of burning out, according to a new survey.
The research, by recruitment firm Hudson UK, found that 44% of those in the sectors had experience of one or more symptoms of overwork and burnout.
This leads employers and employees to feel disillusioned with their job, demotivated and exhausted both mentally and physically, according to Richard Baker, Hudson UK head of sales and marketing.
According to Baker: "Working long hours and being available 24/7 goes with the territory for many workers. Burnout, however, goes deeper than this.
"For employers, an increase in absenteeism, premature career change and a decline in interest and pro-activity among employees can have a serious long-term effect on business success."
The survey was carried out in May by The Survey Shop and included interviews with 107 workers, employers and human resources staff in the marketing, advertising, sales and PR sectors.
Around a half of employers and employees thought the situation had worsened in the last five years.
Of the HR personnel and employers interviewed, one in seven admitted their firms had lost staff due to burnout but, worryingly, 65% had no formal system in place to help burnout sufferers.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- PPC Executive - Leading Digital Marketing Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account Director - FMCG & Retail to £55k Network Career Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum, City of London