Google hires BBH for first European consumer ads
LONDON - The world's biggest internet company, Google, has appointed Bartle Bogle Hegarty to create its first European consumer advertising campaign.
The appointment marks a departure for Google, which until now has relied on word of mouth and online marketing, and follows speculation earlier this year that it had begun talks with agencies about its ad strategy.
Although no one from BBH was available to comment, it is understood that Google's European marketing director, Lorraine Twohill, made the appointment. In a statement, the search company said: 'We work with a number of agencies on various aspects of our marketing, and in line with Google's existing policy of working with agencies, Bartle Bogle Hegarty is working on a small project for us.'
Google also works with Sprout on direct marketing and Carat for its media buying in the UK.
The search giant hit the headlines last week with the launch of Google Talk, an internet phone service that could open the UK telephone market to free calls.
Founded in 1998 by university friends Sergey Brin and Larry Page, Google is worth an estimated $10bn (£5.5bn) and employs more than 4000 staff worldwide.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Digital Executive Innesco £20k-26k, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)