Virgin Mobile set to sign Kate Moss for campaign
LONDON - Virgin Mobile is lining up supermodel Kate Moss to be the face of its brand next year.
The mobile operator is in talks with Moss' representatives about her appearing in advertising and future brand activity, which will target 16- to 34 -year-olds.
The negotiations, which are understood to be at an advanced stage, will see Virgin Mobile become the first major consumer brand to associate itself with the supermodel since stories alleging her drug-taking broke this summer.
The Croydon-born model entered a US rehabilitation clinic after newspapers reported that she had taken cocaine with boyfriend Pete Doherty. The accusations are the subject of an ongoing investigation by the Metropolitan Police.
A number of brands, including H&M and Chanel dropped Moss when the story broke, although others, such as Rimmel, Burberry and Coty, have stuck by her.
Virgin Mobile, which has more than 5m customers in the UK, has used celebrities in its advertising in the past. Busta Rhymes, Christina Aguilera and Missy Elliot starred in its recent "Idle thumbs" campaign.
The company and its ad agency, RKCR/Y&R, declined to comment on the talks with Moss.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London