Gallagher lambasts White Stripes over Coca-Cola ad
LONDON - Noel Gallagher has berated White Stripes' frontman Jack White for writing a song for a Coke ad, saying it was as bad as doing an ad for McDonald's.
White revealed last month that he accepted Coca-Cola's invitation to write a song "along one theme of love in a worldwide form" for an ad, and Noel is not impressed.
The Oasis guitarist told the NME: "Jack White has just written a song for Coca-Cola. End of. He ceases to be in the club. And he looks like Zorro on doughnuts, I don't believe in adverts. He's meant to be the posterboy for the alternative way of thinking.
"Coca-Cola man. Fucking hell. And OK, you want to spread your message of peace and love, but do us all a fucking favour. I'm just not having it. It's like doing a fucking gig for McDonald's."
Gallagher also said he did not believe in ads and did not need the cash. However, Noel and his brother Liam are believed to be pocketing a six-figure sum from Toshiba for endorsing its 803 MP3 mobile phone.
Toshiba is sponsoring the current Oasis tour and the phone is being sold with a memory card carrying the video of Oasis single 'Let There Be Love' and five songs recorded at an Oasis gig.
However, the sponsorship deal like the one Oasis have signed is commonplace in the music business, while stars allowing their songs to be used in ads or working for brands is less so.
Coldplay have previously turned down requests for their music to be used in ads and Radiohead have never allowed a commercial brand to use any of their songs. Radiohead did allow the International Olympic Committee use a song to help promote the Winter Olympics in a global campaign on the understanding that no corporate branding or logos appeared in the ad with the Radiohead track.
The IoC used the Radiohead track 'I Might Be Wrong', from the band's album 'Amnesiac'.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)