Cannabis tea goes on sale in UK
LONDON - An ice tea containing cannabis extract will go on sale in UK health food shops this week, targeted at the soft drinks market with the tagline 'Refreshment for the enlightened'.
C-Ice Swiss Cannabis Ice Tea, originally from Austria, is already very popular in mainland Europe. The narcotic element of the plant, THC, has been removed from the drink, making the product legal.
The company is marketing the product, first seen at the 2006 Bar Show in London, as a healthy soft drink and with the health benefits associated with the hemp plant, including vitamins, minerals and fatty acids.
Harinder Kohli, C-Ice commercial director, said: "We are not keen to be a brand just based on cannabis.
"Our strapline is 'Refreshment for the enlightened', so if you are enlightened you will know about the health benefits of cannabis."
The £1.29 cans will be sold in health food shops and distributed by Marigold Health Foods and other health food distributors.
Point of sale activity, branded merchandise, promotions in clubs and a revamped website are planned in the near future.
The company currently has no plans to launch an advertising campaign because the PR surrounding the launch had "caught them by surprise and is creating more than enough interest".
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Category Insight Manager, FMCG Jarlett de Grouchy £33000.00 - £40000.00 per annum + car allowance, bonus, Manchester