Cosmetic surgery ad wins out in complaints over nudity
LONDON - A television ad for cosmetic surgery that featured naked woman emerging from an egg, and was said to be inspired by a Renaissance painting, has seen off a string of complaints over levels of nudity despite being shown during daytime TV.
The majority of the 16 complaints for the Ultralase Medical Aesthetics ad were in regards to the level of nudity, which the ad showed.
Eleven people considered it inappropriate and unsuitable for daytime viewing when children were likely to see it. The ad was also shown during the Easter school holiday period.
Five of the complaints said it was unsuitable at any time, even though the unclothed woman had both arms placed across her chest and genitals.
Ultralase responded by saying the ad was inspired by Botticelli's famous painting "The Birth of Venus" and they had sought to depict the embodiment of beauty that the painting represented.
The company, which also performs laser eye surgery, said they agreed the ad could be considered inappropriate for children and accepted the restrictions placed upon showing the ad at other times, but did not consider it offensive, distasteful or lewd.
The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre, which cleared the ad for broadcast, said they considered the portrayal was artistic and sensitive and not sexual or harmful.
However, it was approved with the restriction that it should not be shown around programmes aimed specifically at children.
The BACC felt that while children might question the visuals, they could not see why a child should not see woman's body when it was sensitively portrayed and decently covered.
The Advertising Standards Authority said it did not consider the nudity shown in the ad to be unacceptable.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Consultant Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, London (Greater)