Cosmetic surgery ad wins out in complaints over nudity
LONDON - A television ad for cosmetic surgery that featured naked woman emerging from an egg, and was said to be inspired by a Renaissance painting, has seen off a string of complaints over levels of nudity despite being shown during daytime TV.
The majority of the 16 complaints for the Ultralase Medical Aesthetics ad were in regards to the level of nudity, which the ad showed.
Eleven people considered it inappropriate and unsuitable for daytime viewing when children were likely to see it. The ad was also shown during the Easter school holiday period.
Five of the complaints said it was unsuitable at any time, even though the unclothed woman had both arms placed across her chest and genitals.
Ultralase responded by saying the ad was inspired by Botticelli's famous painting "The Birth of Venus" and they had sought to depict the embodiment of beauty that the painting represented.
The company, which also performs laser eye surgery, said they agreed the ad could be considered inappropriate for children and accepted the restrictions placed upon showing the ad at other times, but did not consider it offensive, distasteful or lewd.
The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre, which cleared the ad for broadcast, said they considered the portrayal was artistic and sensitive and not sexual or harmful.
However, it was approved with the restriction that it should not be shown around programmes aimed specifically at children.
The BACC felt that while children might question the visuals, they could not see why a child should not see woman's body when it was sensitively portrayed and decently covered.
The Advertising Standards Authority said it did not consider the nudity shown in the ad to be unacceptable.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- EMEA Digital Marketing Manager Ninesharp £40000 - £45000 per annum, Milton Keynes
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £32000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, London