Podcasting sampled by almost two million people
LONDON - Almost 2m adults have listened to a radio programme downloaded to their MP3 player, according to radio audience measurement body Rajar's first attempt to measure the popularity of podcasting.
The 1.9m people who have sampled podcasting account for 14.8% of MP3 owners, according to Rajar. A quarter of the UK's population or 12.8m adults now own an MP3 player.
Rajar has provided the data as part of its quarterly measurement of radio listening, which includes data for listening via traditional analogue broadcast and new digital platforms such as DAB.
The number of adults who are able to listen to radio via digital platforms has increased from 25.5m in the first quarter to 27.1m in the second quarter of this year.
Digital platforms have all seen an increase from last quarter with DAB penetration up from 13.6% to 15.3% of households.
Online listenership is also on the rise with the proportion of the population who have listened to radio on the internet is up from 20.8% to 22.8%. Those who have listened via digital TV is up from 36.5% to 38.9% and the number who have listened via a mobile phone is up from 8.8% to 9.7%.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Manager fishtank 24k to 33k per year GBP, Surrey
- Junior Account Manager fishtank 22k to 28k per year GBP, Buckinghamshire
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...