Shirley Bassey stars in Bond-style Marks & Spencer ad
LONDON - Dame Shirley Bassey, the diva best known for singing the James Bond's 'Goldfinger' theme tune, is to star alongside the existing M&S team in the brand's Christmas advertising campaign, which features a Bond-style spy theme.
Created by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R, the ad is filmed in a spy-movie style that follows Twiggy, Erin O'Connor, Laura Bailey, Noemie Lenoir and Lizzy Jagger acting as undercover agents called to an assignment.
The ad has been developed to coincide with the launch of the latest Bond movie 'Casino Royale', which stars Daniel Craig as the sixth James Bond and opens on November 16.
As would-be Bond girls, the M&S team are tasked with attending an exclusive performance by Dame Shirley Bassey at a glamorous Christmas party. Bassey also provides the soundtrack to the ad, which is a specially reworked version of Pink's 'Get the Party Started'.
Steven Sharp, marketing director at Marks & Spencer, said: "We wanted a really glam, gorgeous feel to the TV ad this year and who better to team up with our very stylish 'famous five' than the ultimate British music and style icon, Shirley Bassey. It's a real all-singing, all-dancing ad with every element of Christmas you could possibly imagine from party dresses to reindeer to champagne."
The ad starts with O'Connor and Twiggy in separate locations as their phones start to ring. Suddenly three skidoos burst into a snowy landscape and pull up outside an ice hotel, dropping off O'Connor and Jagger. A sled drawn by a team of reindeer also stops outside the hotel, along with Twiggy and Bailey.
Each woman prepares for a night out and they make a dramatic entrance to the bar. A spotlight sweeps the room catching everyone's attention and hits the stage. Shirley Bassey is on stage and bursts into song.
The closing show ends with the strapline "From your M&S with love".
The launch of the latest ad follows 'Your M&S' picking up the IPA Effectiveness Grand Prix last week.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)