Twitter brings forward plans to charge commercial users
LONDON - Twitter is planning to launch enhanced services for commercial users this year according to founder Biz Stone.
The micro-blogging service has brought forward plans to turn its popularity into revenue by next year, Stone told Reuters via email, saying the company has hired someone to create a number of commercial products.
Stone said: "We have lots of time for experimentation with regard to revenue generation, so we'll probably be trying a few different things this year.
"We think there will be opportunities to provide services to commercial entities that help them get even more value out of Twitter."
Amid the buzz about Twitter's efforts to figure out how to make money from its user base -- 7m people used the site in February according to Nielsen Online -- other companies are trying to exploit the service's popularity.
On Monday, Microsoft and online marketing company Federated Media launched ExecTweets, a website allowing users to keep an eye on Twitter messages from business executives.
Also this week, CRM provider Salesforce.com launched a customer relationship management application for Twitter.
The application, called Salesforce CRM for Twitter, is designed to help companies find customers who are going to the Twitter community to solve product problems rather than calling customer service.
It will form part of Saleforce.com's Service Cloud platform.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London