Skype hires former Yahoo CMO Steele to top marketing role
Yahoo's former marketing chief Elisa Steele has joined Microsoft as corporate vice president of marketing for its telephony company Skype.
In the newly created role, Steele oversee Skype’s global brand and marketing functions, reporting directly into Skype president Tony Bates.
Skype axed the global chief marketing officer role in June last year, shortly after the plans for its acquisition by Microsoft were announced, parting ways with Doug Bewsher, who now is senior vice president of marketing at software company Salesforce.com.
Steele, who was behind Yahoo's $100m 'It's You' campaign, left Yahoo at the end of last year, shortly after former chief executive Carol Bartz was dismissed.
She worked at the digital media company for just under three years. Prior to that she held senior roles at NetApp, Sun Microsystems and AT&T.
Bates said: "Skype is a global brand that has become part of the everyday lives of millions of people around the world."
"Skype has always had a maniacal focus on building the best products in the world and now we are adding a world-class marketing leader to guide our brand's development and growth."
In April this year, Skype launched a $12m (£7.5m) UK and US campaign, which was its largest consumer push to date, to promote the service as an enabler of "more human" communications.
The marketing push was lead by Francie Strong, director of global marketing at Skype, who will now report into Steele.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Account Planner Direct Recruitment Up to £50,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...