Auto Trader launches ad campaign as News Int rival expected
Auto Trader, the used-car title part-owned by the Guardian Media Group (GMG), is launching an ad campaign trumpeting its digital credentials amid an imminent rival from News International.
Auto Trader: celebrates its heritage in £2m ad campaign
The TV ad starts today (7 September) and will run until the end of this month, airing on channels including Sky, ITV and Channel 4, as well as running online until mid-October.
The £2m campaign celebrates Auto Trader's 35 years of heritage and centres on a TV ad, created by glue Isobar, which features upcoming singer Natalie Duncan.
Duncan sings a heart-rending version of Etta James' 'At Last', in an attempt to show the emotional connection people have with their cars.
Takeovers of the homepages of YouTube and Top Gear will also form part of the campaign, as will video-on-demand and Twitter activity.
The Twitter campaign, called 'the car's the star', will reward the most original and creative submissions to the question of why the respondents love their cars, with personalised video ads on You Tube.
The campaign follows on from Auto Trader's digital and social "storytelling" advertising campaign in June and comes as Auto Trader gears up for competition from a rival launch from News International.
News International, the publisher of The Times and The Sun, is rolling out an online classified site, under The Sunday Times brand, selling premium second-hand cars – a direct competitor to Auto Trader.
The News International launch is likely to be backed by a significant marketing spend, as chairman Rupert Murdoch is hoping it will help make The Sunday Times – which, together with The Times, loses more than £40m a year – profitable.
Auto Trader, which is jointly owned by GMG and private equity firm Apax, has been hit by a substantial fall in pre-tax profits from £93.6m in 2011, to £21.7m in 2012, partly due to heavy restructuring costs.
There has been speculation that Auto Trader is to cease publishing as a printed magazine.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...